I have to apologize for my absence of posts lately. Keeping up with school, band, pit orchestra, skating practice, blog posts, and everything else that has to be done in life is a little harder than I anticipated. I have been using my busy schedule as an excuse to slack on the things I don’t HAVE to do.
I have fallen into this trap before too. And I’m writing this to help anyone else who may also run into the same “hopeless” trap. (And also to get back into the groove of writing again) (; So here goes!
Sticking to new goals and going the extra mile is hard when you have to keep up with school, do chores, and other extra curricular things. But it is something we all need to do to become better everyday. To be the person God wants us to be, we need to create goals that make us better. So here are a few tips that help (and are helping) me.
5 Ways to Stick to Goals and Go the Extra Mile
Slim your to do list!
I know this seems like the exact opposite of what you should do, but if your list is crazy long with, homework, sports practice, work, chores, clean room, shower, practice music, service project, exercise, stretch, paint, write, organize desk, read, go outside, make crafts, and EVERYTHING you want and need to do, your not going to get very far and you won’t feel like you accomplished ANYTHING (that is if you are like me) (: When I have a long list of all the things I have to get done I often spend more time thinking about how I’m going to get it all done, more than actually getting things done.
You also don’t want to start cutting out random things or you really won’t get the important stuff done. One way I slim my list effectively is to only write the most important things down like homework, chores, work, and practice to make it less intimidating, then once that list is finished you can do other things without feeling pressured. Another way to do this that helps me is making the short have-to-do-list each day, but then also making a want-to-do-list for the week, that way I can do however many I want to do a day from the want-to-do-list without the stress of not getting everything done.
2. Create good habits
This is one I struggle with more but once you create good habits, it makes everything a whole lot easier. Everyone makes habits differently, but some things that help me are:
- Setting an alarm for a certain time of day everyday until it becomes easy to do. Just make sure you set it when you have plenty of free time.
- Not worrying if you are doing it perfectly and just doing it. I read a quote the other day that said “An imperfect workout done today is better than the perfect workout delayed indefinitely” But it doesn’t just apply to workouts, it could apply to anything in your life!
- Making sure you have everything you need ahead of time so you don’t have any excuses
- And finally, making it enjoyable. Whether you play music or reward yourself with some free time afterwards or whatever YOU like. And once it’s a habit it becomes so much less stressful and much more enjoyable.
3. Keep yourself motivated
I have discovered I can do so much more when I feel motivated. I have a lot of trouble doing things that don’t seem important to me. There are some things you can cut out if you do not enjoy doing them, but there are others you just have to get through. For things like school that you just have to do, this might help.
- First and most importantly – offer it up to God and do it for His glory and not your own, and then maybe plan something fun or fulfilling to do after you are finished.
- Also if you are doing something extra everyday that you don’t enjoy isn’t benefiting others, don’t do it! It may be hard, but if you don’t like it there are many more important things you could be doing for yourself and others in that time.
4. Keep yourself inspired
This one is a lot like the last tip, but it is also different and very important. To fully blossom and live an amazing life you have to keep trying to do better everyday and it REALLY helps to be inspired. Inspiration can be more than a little feeling you get every once in a while too! One thing I am working on to help myself get inspired is putting quotes in my room. So when I wake up I have something to help me start my day. I also love listening to music to stay inspired. I recently came across a playlist I love on an amazing blog called Desiring Heaven and I thought I would share a link to a playlist she made… https://desiringheaven.wordpress.com/2016/09/05/school-morning-playlist/
And one last thing to keep yourself inspired… make sure you do the things you love! Whether it’s art, music, dance, sports, baking, cooking, crafting, or anything else… make time to do it!
5. Most importantly… keep praying.
Pray for strength, motivation, and inspiration to do God’s will through everything you do. Even if it’s just a few minutes, sit down, breathe, and give thanks! It will make your day go so much better.
One thing you need remember is there is absolutely no right or wrong.
That’s why it’s called “5 tips” not “5 rules”. If something does’t work for you don’t do it. You can also take these tips and make them your own. The sky is the limit!